1. Religion :
- one of the 12 personal followers of Christ.
- one of the 70 followers sent forth by Christ. Luke 10:1.
- any other professed follower of Christ in His lifetime.
2. any follower of Christ.
3. (initial capital letter) a member of the Disciples of Christ.
4. a person who is a pupil or an adherent of the doctrines of another; follower.
There is almost nothing more that I love than being able to disciple someone in the Word or in their new walk with the Lord. Sometimes it may just be an encouraging word or a prayer, but other times it's an ongoing conversation or relationship that digs deep.
Within our ministry, we may not be able to break through to everyone we come into contact with, but the people that we are able to get to know, build a relationship with and disciple, make it all worth it.
It is so exciting to watch someone grow deeper in their faith - for them to see a new Truth of God's Word and to understand it and apply it to their life. And it's even more exciting to get to be the one that God has entrusted with teaching this person.
But it's a hard job. There are ups and downs, tears and smiles, mountains and valleys....more valleys, quite frankly. Sometimes we try so hard to get through to someone, and we give them the tools, we pray for them, we fret over them, and in the end we feel like they've left our life no different. But we've been entrusted with this job. It isn't some haphazard thing we just decide to take on one day. When we 'sign up with Jesus', we sign up for discipleship.
I'm sure everyone is familiar with The Great Commission.
Matthew 28:18-20 - Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Jesus is telling US that we are to GO and MAKE DISCIPLES....and then to teach these new disciples to obey all the commands He has given.
It is not our responsibility to go and get people saved. (We can't do that anyway.)
But we can share Truth. We can plant seeds. We can pray for the Holy Spirit to move. We can do the works of Jesus....greater works even by the power of the Holy Spirit within us (John 14:12).
And we can teach people, just as Jesus has instructed. That's all discipleship is anyway....teaching people with the knowledge and experiences He's given us.
Would you please take a moment to pray for us and the people that are in our paths right now? Would you please say a prayer that we are able to be strong in the Word but sensitive to the Spirit, to know what to say and when to say it? Would you also pray that God will draw people to us...not because of us...but because of Him living in us?
Thank you for your support,
Loving Radically Through Christ,
(Keep on the lookout for more Mardi Gras Mission Trip information and for more upcoming event information. Right now we would love to have you join us at:
- Converting Hearts graduation ceremony - Thursday, March 27 - 7pm
- Weekly Bible study/fellowship group - Friday, March 28 - 6:30pm
- Bull City Outreach Ministries Open House - Saturday, March 29 - 2pm to 6pm
- Testimony Sharing for a friend in Roxboro - Sunday, March 30 - 6pm
- Ladies Bible study/fellowship group - Monday, March 31 - 12:30pm
- Weekly Bible study/fellowship group - Friday, April 4 - 6:30pm
- CROSSWALKING/EVANGELISM - Saturday in April - specific date still TBD - LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS ONE AND WHICH SATURDAY WORKS FOR YOU