Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blessed Tree

What would you think of me if you heard me say "You know what I want to be?  I wanna be a Blessed Tree!"

Ummmm - really Melissa?  Out of all the things in the world, you want to be a tree? 

No - not just any old tree - a Blessed Tree!  The Very One that's spoken of in Psalm 1.

As I picked up the Bible this weekend to read, I randomly opened to Psalm 1.  I have probably read it 4 or 5 times now over the past few days - and each time I am left with an absolutely beautiful picture.  It's relaxing, calming, aspiring, almost magical....and I don't know why.

But that's just how things of God are - right?  Safe, loving, relaxing, calming, and on and on.  This Blessed Tree is just that also.  I envision an enormous tree - full of color and leaves - sun shining all around it - planted right beside a gently rolling brook or river.  It gives refuge and shade, shelter and a home.  It's beautiful and perfectly green.  Looking at the scenery just makes someone happy. 

How can I become that tree though?  Psalm 1 gives the description of the Blessed Tree and also the answer of how to become it.

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinner
or sit in the seat of mockers.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.

Whatever he does prospers.

Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff that the wind blows away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

Dear Lord - I want my delight to come from you....from your law.  From your love.  Let your Spirit within me always remind me to meditate on your law day and night.  When I remember you and delight in your law, I will be that Blessed Tree that's planted by your ever flowing stream of life.  Through delighting in your law I will be able to yield my fruit in season....the fruit of your Spirit.  My leaf will not wither and whatever I do will prosper.  Prospering not in a worldy sense, but in a perfect sense that is part of your will.  I may not attain the riches of this old world, but I have the promise of Psalm 1:6 that you will watch over me....always.

Help me Lord to be that Blessed Tree and to help plant seeds that will sprout other Blessed Trees around me.

Loving Radically Through Christ,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment