Monday, August 12, 2013

National Night Out 2013

What a great time we had at National Night Out last Tuesday!

I believe this will be our 3rd year going and helping out with the outreach led by Bull City Outreach Ministries.  We are just so blessed to be able to be a part of it. 

We always have a great time fellowshipping with folks from the community, the police officers, and fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

We handled the "kids department" and took some ideas from our upcoming mobile VBS and gave them a "test run".  We had face painting, crafts and a meet-and-greet with Armor of God Man.

One little girl that stood out to me the most of the night was a little girl local to the area (Hyde Park and Liberty Streets).  She was about 4 or 5.  She came up to me at the craft table and I immediately started helping her with a Sword of the Spirit coloring craft.  This gave me the opportunity to start asking her some questions about the Bible and Jesus and church.  Everytime I asked her if she knew what the Bible was, or if she knew who Jesus was, or if she went to church, she just shook her head "no".  But a few moments later when I asked her if she knew that Jesus died for her (she again shook her head "no"), she proceeded to tell me all about how her cousin had just died.....how he had gotten shot right outside and how her mother and grandmother were crying and screaming.  It just broke my heart.  She knew way more than any 4 or 5 year old should.  She retold the story like a teenager would. 

But this is the reality of her life. 

This is why we do National Night Out in these areas....to try and show these kids that there is more to life than just what they see....that there is JESUS and that He loves them and died for them. 

Please pray that the seeds we planted in these areas will grow, and that we will have opportunities to see these precious people again.

I did not take any pictures, but I've included a few that other people took that night.

Loving Radically Through Christ,

Melissa










No comments:

Post a Comment